Harris Field before the game

Harris Field

Halftime Show performed by the BHS Marching Band

Halftime Show performed by the BHS Marching Band

On a brisk, chilly Friday night, a great turnout of students, teachers, and citizens of Belmont formed a crowd in the bleachers as the Belmont Marauders of the Varsity Football faced off against their opponents, the Masconomet Regional Chieftains, in a close game that ended in a 20-17 loss for the hometown Marauders.  The Marauders came into the game with their record at (4-5), and the Chieftains came into the game with a record of (2-7), and as the Chieftains pulled off the upset, the Marauders fell to (4-6). The Chieftains struck first, and though the Marauders did take the lead briefly in the first quarter by 1 point, the Chieftains would remain in charge for the rest of the game.

To start off the first quarter, the Chieftains received the kickoff, in which they returned for a short gain. The Chieftains however, after only a series of plays, scored a touchdown with a breakout run from their halfback for an early score. The extra point however was no good, and so the score remained (6-0). On the following Marauder drive, the Marauders answered with a pass touchdown from Cal Christofori (#14) to Joe Shaughnessy (#87) to tie the game (6-6). Aidan Cadogan (#46) punched in the extra point to take the lead, (7-6). A couple of possessions later, Masconomet drove down the field to the 5 yd line, and punched in a score, regaining the lead (13-6). On the next drive, the Marauders drove down the field deep into Masconomet territory, but failed to convert a crucial third down, forcing Cadogan to kick a field goal. A couple of possessions later, the Chieftains struck again, with a touchdown from eight yards out, widening the lead to 10 points. Down by two scores, and with a limited amount of time left, the Marauders adopted a sense of urgency in their playing, and Ben Jones (#34) exemplified this with his breakout run for 30+ yards during the drive, and his rushing touchdown to finish the drive. This touchdown pulled the Marauders with 3 of tying the Chieftains, and they desperately needed a defensive stop since time was running out. After a couple of nail-biting plays, the Chieftains went three-and-out, and they punted to the Marauders 7 yd line, deep in their territory. The Marauders slowly worked down the field and picked up yardage as time slowly ticked away. With about 40 seconds left in the game, the Marauders marched down to midfield in an effort to kick a field goal to tie the game. After several incompletions intended deep, the Marauders faced a 4th and 4, a perilous situation in a all-or-nothing scenario. Christofori snapped the ball, scrambled to the right, threw to Trey Butler, but the short pass fell incomplete, causing a turnover on downs.

As the game drew to a close, the disappointment of both the players and the crowd was evident, and the heartbreaking loss affected the seniors of the varsity football team the most, due to the fact that the game was their last home game of the season, and their high school football career, and that the game ended with a loss. Emotions ran high after the game, and the quickly dispersing crowd carried a somber mood about them, sad to see their beloved Marauders fall to the opponent in a game that potentially could have been won. However, there was also a positive perspective in the loss, because players were encouraged to treat this loss as the fuel and motivation to win their next and final game of their season, a traditional Thanksgiving matchup against their local rivals, the Watertown Red Raiders. On Nov. 26, at 10:15am, the Marauders will face the Red Raiders in a non-conference rivalry game that dates back to the year 1921, in a finale of an outstanding season produced by the Marauders.